My wife Lauren and I approached our new home with certain mindset. Knowing we were going to be here for a while (my son is 6, and we expect to still be living here after he graduates college), we decided to go ahead and load up on several options now. Many other bloggers are deciding to wait on options, and add them themselves later, but we wanted to go ahead and get things done now. My dad is very handy around the house, and even he advised to do some things now, since they are easier to do now than wait until later. With that said, here are some of the choices we have made:
- Elevation L with porch
- Upgraded garage door and opener
- Dedicated outlet for freezer
- Hardwood in foyer, mudroom, closet, and powder room and hall into kitchen.
- Morning room
- First floor bedroom and bath (more details here) and added french doors instead of 2-panel door.
- Granite countertop in kitchen (Level 1)
- Crown molding in kitchen
- 10 ceiling fan rough-ins (morning room, downstairs bedroom and study, family room, four bedrooms upstairs and two in modified bonus room)
- Tile backsplash in kitchen
- Black appliances (less fingerprints that way)
- Gourmet island
- Extended patio (12 x 14)
- Extra window in family room, modified bonus room, and Bedroom 3
- Spindles along stairwell (Lauren loves this!)
- Enclosed loft to make Bedroom 5 (for our son)
- Extra vanities in upstairs bathrooms
- Upgraded shower with seat in master bedroom
- Tankless water heater (included)
- Blinds in every room (Ryan provided this for us)
- Upgraded faucets and fixtures throughout the house (brushed nickel)
Many of these were included as incentives, and our sales rep Amber really worked with us to make it fit our budget. We decided against the washer and dryer because of bad reviews on the washer we were getting, and also passed on the fireplace (not really needed here in NC).
So, we've added a lot, but in the long run, we think we'll be happy we did.